The On Demand Global Workforce - oDesk

9.22.2009

WAHM in L.O.V.E.


“Find a job that you love and you will never have to work a day in your life at all.” I learned this from my very first boss in the bank where I used to work. This has been my guiding principle when it comes to career decisions ever since.

I find it very true and apt even for a freelancer or someone who works from home. It does not necessarily follow that you will enjoy working if you are working from home. You got to love what you do. Finding focus and motivation are just some of the things you deal with on a day-to-day basis when you work from home. If you do not even like what you do, it is going to be more difficult to motivate yourself, become productive, and consequently make money. Remember, you now work alone and you do not have a boss who will check on the progress of your work every once and a while. You are now responsible to the development of your freelance work or home business. Accordingly, the first thing you have to do is to find your passion.

Think, “What type of work do I want to have if not for money?” I also often hear that this is one of the foundations of a good business. Me? I love recruiting so I am still into it now. I also try to dabble on writing and research. These things kept me busy as a freelancer for the past months.

If you love what you do, other things just follow. It is easier to wake up in the morning, without dragging yourself to your work space. It is also less stressful and will not give you nightmares.

3 comments:

  1. I agree..... You got to love what you do and everything else follows...

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. I got retrenched last week Monday and took it really hard, but then when I thought about it for a while, I realised that it was suppose to happen. I've been unhappy with my work for a long time now. I hate it. I think I hate more working for a boss than anything else. I need my freedom. Not to play around and do just what I want to do, just when I want to. I'm a hard worker and don't need much motivation to work. So I've decided to freelance a bit and since I'll be having my own hours, I can start taking courses of the jobs that I would really enjoy doing. It won't be work, cause it will be fun. So I'm going for it. I'm really scared that I might not succeed and that if business is slow I will go back to a permanent job. I'm determined to succeed though and my DH supports me in my decision.

    I'm hoping to hear about a couple of freelance jobs soon. Hold thumbs. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Butteryfly: Thanks again, for always being the first to comment on my entries :D

    @Adriana: Welcome to my blog. :) It's really a little challenging at first. I hope you get your first gig soon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails